History

KRONOS Worldwide, Inc. and its predecessors have been producing titanium dioxide pigments (TiO2) since 1916. Demand for TiO2 spread throughout Europe, the company built manufacturing facilities in Germany and established sales organizations in France and Belgium. Further growth in worldwide demand led to the construction of additional production facilities in Belgium and Canada during the late 1950s.



One of the most significant milestones in the history of the company was the development and commercialization of its proprietary chloride process technology. Its first chloride process plant was commissioned in the late 1970's, and it was the first commercial TiO2 plant in Continental Europe to utilize the chloride process technology.

Today over 70% of the company's TiO2 capacity is produced through the chloride process.

This technology has become the cornerstone of the company's continued growth as it provides significant economic and environmental advantages from reduced effluent waste treatment requirements and more efficient utilization of energy and manpower resources. 

The company has continued to grow and invest in its worldwide TiO2 business and currently operates six production plants and one mine at locations in five countries on two continents.

The company was originally owned by NL Chemicals. But in 1989 NL organized its TiO2 operations under its majority-owned subsidiary, KRONOS Worldwide, Inc. and adopted the KRONOS brand name exclusively. The company still maintains rights to the Titanox brand name, which it had used in certain parts of the world up until that time.

The high quality of KRONOS products is benchmarking in many industrial applications, such as KRONOS 2310 for coatings, or KRONOS 2220 for PVC profiles, KRONOS 2233 for polycarbonates, and KRONOS 2800 for paper laminates. With the widest selection of products available, KRONOS offers its customers excellent solutions to help optimize their products.